Monday, July 7, 2008

Help your group find Rescued Treasure!

Hi Leaders.
Pam McKerring, Crosspointe's new Pastor of mobilization, sent this email to Jenny and I last week. You will definitely find it helpful for getting your group plugged into serving others in our area. Thanks, Pam.

Hey guys!
I just got back from an afternoon at the Rescued Treasures Thrift Store operated by the Durham Rescue Mission! 
One, I never realized how close it was to Crosspointe until I drove there today.  We are practically neighbors! They are literally 15 minutes North on Highway 55!
Two, I never realized how many "treasures" they had there!  Wow, some seriously awesome stuff, I might have to go back on Saturday and continue furnishing my apartment.
Three, it is an easy place to volunteer, and loads of fun!  I laughed, had some good talks with a few ladies, and yes learned some new words to add to my vocabulary...I love learning languages in different communities!  There are so many ways to give your time there...and they aren't picky about how much time you serve!  Show up when you can and leave when you need to...and your kids are more than welcome to come along too!

I learned a lot while I was there.  First, they weren't really expecting me, miscommunication happens, but when I told them I was there to volunteer and not shop they eagerly, and with a huge smile put me to work!  I had a blast working alongside a 14 year old girl from the area who had community service to complete!  It made me realize how much Durham Rescue Mission does to allow for life change in our community.  It was awesome!  Also, I never realized how much of a financial impact the thrift store has for DRM!  I learned that because people donate their stuff to them, they are able to feed and house more and more people!  This is serious info in the financial times we are in!  

So now that I have gone once, I am going to try and speak with some expertise about how people can serve there...here goes...

1.  Call and let them know you would like to volunteer!  (Call Rodney 688-9641 ext 5025)
2.  Show up.  At the cashier they have a volunteer notebook they like you to sign before you get started.  Let them know you are there to volunteer and they will get you going!
3.  have fun serving and encourage those you are working beside.  Most likley they are residents of the Men's mission or the Good Samaritan Inn and they are learning valuable life skills to be able to move towards self-sufficiency one day.  
4.  When you need to leave, let them know, sign out, encourage them, and if you are desperate like I was, hit a drive through and get a cold soda, or blended iced chai and praise God for the work he is doing in our area through the Durham Rescue mission as you drive home!

ANOTHER OPTION:
Give to them!  We all have stuff in our attic, in our garages, sheds, trunks...you name it, we have it, I think I even have stuff I am not using stuffed away somewhere.  Well, do a little spring cleaning, and take it to them, they will take it off your hands with a smile, and sell it to help support the needs of the mission!  Sidenote:  They don't accept mattresses or car seats because of NC State Law.

As always, people can feel free to connect with me if they want to learn more about serving,  

Pam McKerring
Pastor Of Mobilization
 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful opportunity to connected in a real way with those we desire to help. How many people would it be ok to send at one time? Is this something we could together as a Life Group? I wouldn't want to descend on them if they aren't prepared to use all 10 of us :-)

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive