Sunday, October 10, 2010

XXIII:II

"He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters..."


As you begin your group time, be mindful that every person in the room (including you) potentially represents a host of worries, conflicts and unresolved tensions that date back a few minutes and/or a few decades.
Worry, anxiety...these are emotions that we entertain for years, believing somehow that they are a reasonable way of dealing with issues in our lives that need addressing. And every moment we spend worrying and anxious, fearful or down right annoyed, we are robbing ourselves of our life, of the ability to apply faith, and of enjoying the presence of God who lives in the Now.

Have fun. Be present. Bathe in peace.


Thaw
  • Would anyone like to try reciting the 23rd psalm from memory at this point?
  • How has The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want played out in your life over the last week?
  • What are a few things that you have worried about today, no matter how small?
  • How do you feel about these worries right now, and how do you think they are affecting you?
  • What stuck with you most from the message this Sunday?

Reading Meditation
  • Read these passages to yourself and allow God to speak to you through them.
  • Psalm 27:1 “The LORD is my light and my salvation — whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life — of whom shall I be afraid?”
  • Psalm 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble.”
  • Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.”
  • Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
  • Jeremiah 29:11 “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future’.”
  • Matthew 6:33 “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”
  • John 16:33 “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
  • Romans 8:28 “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
  • Romans 8:38-39 “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation shall be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
  • Philippians 4:19 “And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.”
  • 2 Timothy 1:7 “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline.”
  • Hebrews 13:5-6 “Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’ So we say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?’”
  • 1 Peter 5:7 “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”

Discuss
  • After reading these, you may have a sense of peace. But you may also feel no different at all. You can be aware that these texts are in the Bible, but be so sure emotionally that continuing to worry is the best way to live.
  • What are the differences between worry and responsibility?
  • (Or anxiety and concern?)
  • How do fear and faith work against each other?
  • How do worry and anxiety feel necessary and even good?

Leader note: You may want to help the people in your group, depending on the level of relevance this particular discussion has for your group, understand that fear/anxiety/worry are all self-protective emotions. In the purest sense, anxiety can help you survive. Being appropriately worried about the loose Lion in the cul-de-sac will prove useful to yourself and your kids. The issue for most worriers, however, is that there aren't any real lions in the street. They have just gotten so used to being in self-protection mode (against all forms of discomfort, difficulty or stress) that their worry feels necessary. This is the difficulty with anxiety, and giving yourself in faith to God. It feels like suicide on a subconscious level. "If I don't worry, I am being irresponsible and emotionally numb....which will get me hurt!"

  • How does fear/worry/anxiety affect relationships?

Leader note: Try and discover how this constant protection mode affects our ability to be loving, or to receive love. Suspicion is a force-field.

Apply
  • What do we do with an increased awareness of our worries?
  • What does King David intend to communicate by writing He makes me lie down in green pastures, and leads me beside quiet waters?
  • How does this find applicability in the midst of real-life stress and worry?
  • How does this apply to fears about being found out about something that has been hidden?
  • How does this apply to health concerns, job worries, national issues, etc?



Book recommendation
  • Present Perfect, Gregory Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive